Self storage units are a great solution for all types of storage needs. A self storage unit is the perfect place to store all those things you don’t use very often that are cluttering your home, including furniture, clothing, documents, books, toys and more. A storage unit can even be the ideal place to store product inventory for a home-based business. But if you just put everything in your storage unit without a plan, it can quickly become a cluttered mess and make it nearly impossible to find what you need when you need it.
Some careful planning and organization can help you maximize your space and provide you with a functional and easy-to-navigate storage unit. AAA Storage in Lansing offers the following suggestions to help you make your self storage experience more enjoyable.
- Rent the right storage unit for your needs. Consider what you will be storing and how much space you need. Do you need a climate controlled space? Do you need to be able to drive up to your storage unit?
- Put items into boxes and fill the boxes to capacity. Put detailed labels on each box and put the labels where they can be easily seen.
- When stacking boxes, put the heaviest boxes on the bottom and put lighter boxes on top.
- Consider bringing in metal shelving units to make the most of your vertical space. This will allow you to stack items higher and still give you easy access to boxes on the bottom.
- Keep your boxes organized with like items stored together.
- Create a map of your storage unit detailing where everything is stored along with a written inventory of everything in the storage unit. This will make it easier to find things when you need them.
- Put items you know you will need on a regular basis in the front of your storage unit where it is easy to access.
- Leave a walkway that allows you easy access to the back of your storage unit.
- For extra protection, place a barrier between your valuables and the floor, such as pallets.
- When storing furniture, try to store them in a way that will take up the least amount of space. If possible, remove the legs from tables so that they can be stored vertically. If storing sofas and couches for a short period of time, set them up on their ends to maximize space. If you are storing dressers, desks, filing cabinets or other furniture with drawers, make use of the drawers to store additional items.
- Don’t forget to insure your possessions, whether it’s a policy from your home insurance company or through your self storage company.
Taking the time to plan your storage unit organization will save you headaches down the road when you need to find specific items.